RPA was established as an Independent Statutory Body, by Ministerial Order on December 28th 2001 following the passing of the Transport (Railway Infrastructure) Act, 2001. RPA’s brief is to:
- Secure the provision of, or to provide, such light railway and metro infrastructure as may be determined from time to time by the Minister for Transport
- Monitor and publish regular reports on the safety of the light railway and metro infrastructure
- Enter into agreements with other persons in order to secure the provision of such railway infrastructure whether by means of a concession, joint venture, public private partnership or any other means
- Acquire and facilitate the development of land adjacent to any railway works subject to and application for a railway order where such acquisition and development contributes to the economic viability of the said railway works
- Develop an Integrated Ticketing System for public transport in Ireland, focusing initially on the Greater Dublin Area.